When choosing any beard or hairstyle, you want to take into account your physical attributes.
Oblong faces are longer than they are wide, with a soft, curving jaw.
If you have an oblong face shape then haircuts that add angularity and help shorten the visual length of your face are your best options. Your face is naturally long, so you want to avoid haircuts that go up, and instead choose options that ground your features.
Unsure of what face shape you have? Check out our free style report and we’ll analyze your face attributes for you and provide a personalized style report.
Pro tips to consider
- Short haircuts are the best options for guys with oblong faces
- Allow your bangs/fringe to fall onto your face to reduce the visual length of your overall face
- Avoid haircuts with volume on top (e.g. quiff) as it will add extra length to your face
- Hairstyles with strong angles can be helpful to add angularity to your jawline, but be careful of super short sides as they will add length
General best practices
- Think about how much time you have to devote to a styling your hair on a daily basis. The shorter your hair, the easier it’s going to be to maintain
- Think about the formality level you need for your work. Longer and relaxed styles may not be the best option if you work in a business formal environment (i.e. lawyer, finance or similar)
- If you have a receding hairline, check out our guide to haircuts for receding hairlines when deciding on longer or shorter styles
Haircuts for men with an oblong face shape infographic: